To prospective students: I will take a sabbatical leave from February 2014 to February 2015. I am currently not accepting foreign students.
- Postal address: Keio University Shonan Fujisawa Campus, 5322 Endo, Fujisawa-shi, Kanagawa, 252-0882 JAPAN
- Telephone: +81-466-49-3472 (direct)
- Facsimile: +81-466-49-3472 (direct)
- Room in the campus: Epsilon 304
- Office hour: NA
- Campus access direction: http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/en/maps.html
- Google map: maps.google.com
Motohiro TSUCHIYA is professor of Graduate School of Media and Governance and deputy director of Global Security Research Institute (G-SEC) at Keio University.
Prior to joining the Keio faculty, he was associate professor at Center for Global Communications (GLOCOM), International University of Japan. In 2001 and 2002 he received Fulbright Research Grant of the Japan-U.S. Education Commission and the Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES), and Abe Fellowship of the Center for Global Partnership (CGP) and the Social Science Research Council (SSRC) for research in the United States. He researched in Washington, DC, as visiting scholar at Center for International Development and Conflict Management (CIDCM), University of Maryland, and at Cyberspace Policy Institute (CPI), George Washington University. From March 2008 to March 2009 he was visiting scholar at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) Center for International Studies.
He is interested in the impact of the information revolution and international relations; regulations regarding telecommunications and the Internet; and global governance and information technologies. He is a member of the Editorial Advisory Board of Info Journal since spring of 2008. He is also a visiting research fellow at Center for Global Communications (GLOCOM) and a special executive researcher at Institute for Information and Communications Policy (IICP) of Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications.
He authored Information and Global Governance (Tokyo: Keio University Press, 2001, in Japanese), Net Politics (Tokyo: Iwanami Publishing, 2003, in Japanese), Network Power (Tokyo: NTT Publishing, 2007, in Japanese), Intelligence and National Security (Tokyo: Keio University Press, 2007, in Japanese), Network Hegemony (Tokyo: NTT Publishing, 2011, in Japanese), and co-authored 20 books including Organizational Design in the Broadband Age (Tokyo: Toyo Keizai Shinpo Sha, 2002, in Japanese), Digital Divide (Tokyo: NTT Publications, 2002, in Japanese) and Japanese Telecommunications: Market and Policy in Transition (London: Routledge, 2006, in English).
He earned his BA in political science, MA in international relations, and Ph.D in media and governance from Keio University.
Book Chapters in English
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Cybersecurity in East Asia: Japan and the 2009 Attacks on South Korea and the United States," Kim Andreasson, ed., Cybersecurity: Public Sector Threats and Responses, Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2012, Chapter 3. ISBN978-1-4398-4663-6
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Ill-defined National Interest: The Difficult Role of the Japanese Negotiator in the Access Charge Negotiations with the United States," Ruth Taplin and Masako Wakui, eds., Japanese Telecommunications: Market and Policy in Transition, London: Routledge, 2006, chapter 8. ISBN0-415-36803-0
- Keisuke Kamimura, Motohiro Tsuchiya and Adam Peake, "Japan," Digital Review of Asia Pacific, 2005-2006.
Books in Japanese
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, Network Hegemony: Strategy, Power, and Empire in the Information Society, Tokyo: NTT Publishing, 2011.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, Intelligence and National Security: Intelligence Community in the Network Age, Tokyo: Keio University Press, 2007.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, Network Power: International Politics in the Information Age, Tokyo: NTT Publishing, 2007.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, Net Politics: Information Strategies in the World after 9/11, Tokyo: Iwanami Publishing, 2003.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, Information and Global Governance: Nation States in Turbulent Internet World, Tokyo: Keio University Press, 2001.
- Tadamasa Kimura and Motohiro Tsuchiya, Consensus Making in the Network Age, Tokyo: NTT Publishing, 1998.
Articles in English (Selected)
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Systematic Government Access to Private-Sector Data in Japan," International Data Privacy Law (2012) doi: 10.1093/idpl/ips019, First published online: August 21, 2012.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Defense against Cyber Terrorism: Head War and Body War," Transformacje, Special Issue 2010, pp. 259-267.
- Michiko Yoshida and Motohiro Tsuchiya, "SNSs and "Emergence" in Networks," tranlslated from an article published in Jiji Press ed., World Affairs Weekly , November 8-15 (released: October 28, 2005). (pdf)
- Motohiro Tsuchiya and Adam Thierer, "Is America Exporting Misguided Telecommunications Policy? : The U.S.-Japan Telecom Trade Negotiations and Beyond," CATO Institute Briefing Papers, No. 79, January 7, 2002.
Presentations in English (Selected)
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Cyber Security and International Politics in the Age of Big Data," Asia Forum on Cyber Security and Privacy, Cloud and Big Data: Challenges for Policy Making, Tokyo, Japan, May 30, 2013.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Kinetic Cyber Defense: The Case Study of Japan," CENS Workshop on “Effective and Credible Cyber Deterrence,” Marina Mandarin Hotel, Singapore, May 27, 2013.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Cyber Security in East Asiaand Japan’s Response," 11th Canada-Japan Symposium on Peace and Security Cooperation, Ottawa, Canada, May 24, 2013.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "International Politics of Submarine Cables," Pacific Telecommunications Council, "Research Workshop: Bridging the Digital Divide in the Pacific Islands," Honolulu, Hawaii, United States, January 21, 2013.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Future Japan-Australia Pathways to Defense Collaboration in Cyber Security," Australia-Japan Security Relations in A Changing
Strategic Environment, National Institute for Defense Studies (NIDS), Tokyo, Japan, December 3, 2012.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Cybersecurity Preparedness in Japan: Response to the 2009 Attacks on South Korea and the United States," Seoul Defense Dialogue, Seoul, Republic of Korea, November 15, 2012.
- Mito Akiyoshi, Motohiro Tsuchiya, Takako Sano, "Missing In the Midst of Abundance: The Case of Broadband Adoption in Japan," The 39th Research Conference on Communication, Information and Internet Policy, Arlington VA, United States, September 24, 2011.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Cybersecurity Preparedness in Japan: Response to the 2009 Attacks on South Korea and the United States," CENS-GFF Workshop on The Geostrategic Implications of Cyberspace, July 18, 2011, Singapore.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Cyber Security Initiatives in Japan: Response to Emerging Threats in East Asia," Canadian Association for Security and Intelligence Studies (CASIS), October 15, 2010, Fairmont Château Laurier Hotel, Ottawa, Canada.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Cyber Security in East Asia," U.S.-Japan Research Institute Event, September 8, 2010, Washington, D.C.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Restructuring of Japanese Intelligence Agencies," International Intelligence History Association 15th Annual Meeting, October 19. 2009, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Defense against Cyber Terrorism: Head War and Body War," MD16, Cyber Terrorism, National Security, and International Communication, Panel, International Studies Association Annual Convention 2009, February 16, New York.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Understanding the Cyber World: From Geeks to Security," Information and Communication Technologies and International Security Conference, United Nations Institute for Disarmament Research, 24-25 April 2008, Geneva.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Defence against Cyber Terrorism," International Symposium "Global Terrorism and International Cooperation II," Centre of Excellence Defence Against Terrorism (COE-DAT), 10-11 March 2008, Ankara, Turkey.
- Hiroshi Yamakawa, Michiko Yoshida, and Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Toward Delegated Democracy: Vote by Yourself, or Trust Your Network," Procceedings of World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 24, pp. 146-150, Nice, France, October 2007.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Japan's Creativity and Soft Power," Toward a Knowledge Society: U.S.-Japan Perspectives, Japan Society, March 1, 2006, New York.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, " Internet in Asia: Is the US Falling Behind?" at the U.S. Congressional Internet Caucus Advisory Committee, November 20, 2003.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Quest for Broadband in Japan," at NECA Broadband Summit 2003, April 23, 2003.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Quest for Broadband: e-Japan ver. 2.0," at CSIS, March 4, 2003.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Comparative Studies of Encryption Regulations in the U.S. and Japan," presented at INET 2002, Crystal Gateway Marriott, Arlington, Virginia, U.S., 21 June, 2002.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Japanese Anti-Spam Laws" presented at a workshop "Spam: Can It Be Stopped?," organized by Global Internet Project (GIP), Crystal Gateway Marriott, Arlington, Virginia, U.S., 18 June, 2002.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Encryption Policy and the Role of the Internet Community: Regulation of a New Weapon in the United States and Japan," presented at the International Studies Association, Hong Kong, July 28, 2001.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Which Side Are We Along the Digital Divide?: The Present Status of East Asian Internet," presented at Framework Session II, Forum 21, The College of William and Mary, Virginia, U.S., September 11, 2000.
- Motohiro Tsuchiya, "Information Disclosure of Japanese Government on WWW Servers," presented at the Fifth International Conference on Japanese Information in Science, Technology and Commerce; Washington, DC, August 1st, 1997.
[homepage in Japanese]